September 14, 2010

New reads

I walked into the lobby of my apartment the other day to find a stack of books. Turns out, some amazing human being left a goldmine of great novels for anyone's taking, a pass on the knowledge type of idea I suppose. Now I feel like I need to contribute to the Oak apartment community, maybe I'll leave a gnome or two down there, or a six pack. Either way, I got away with THESE!!!



Favorite. My first official copy!







SO excited to read





Maud Locksley Hall and other poems by Alfred Lord Tennyson

My favorite stanzas...

I have led her home, my love, my only friend,
There is none like her, none.
And never yet so warmly ran my blood
And sweetly, on and on
Calming itself to the long-wished-for end,
Full to the banks, close on the promised good.

None like her, none.
Just now the dry-tongued laurels’ pattering talk
Seem’d her light foot along the garden walk,
And shook my heart to think she comes once more;
But even then I heard her close the door,
The gates of Heaven are closed, and she is gone.

There is none like her, none.
Nor will be when our summers have deceased.
O, art thou sighing for Lebanon
In the long breeze that streams to thy delicious East,
Sighing for Lebanon,
Dark cedar, tho’ thy limbs have here increased,
Upon a pastoral slope as fair,

And looking to the South, and fed
With honeyed rain and delicate air,
And haunted by the starry head
Of her whose gentle will has changed my fate,
And made my life a perfumed altar-frame;
And over whom thy darkness must have spread
With such delight as theirs of old, thy great
Forefathers of the thornless garden, there
Shadowing the snow-limbed Eve from whom she came.

No comments:

Post a Comment