September 7, 2010

Forgot Was Sorry

Down the street from my house at FIFTY24SF gallery was the opening for artist Stanley Donwood's newest works. Donwood is famous for doing the cover of Radiohead's album "Hail To the Thief", and after reading about his art and seeing it for the first time, I've really taking a liking to it, more like a loving. His work was originally inspired by the immediacy and color palette of advertisements he saw in the street, and then later by the powerful and exciting linguistics of spam mail. His uses the 7 colors he calls the "California Palette" and poignant, eye-catching words to show the magnitude and power of capitalism along with the amazing grandiosity of new age communication.

For the first time I was actually able to appreciate his work. I thought it was interesting to read all the strong words, and then ignoring them to just look at the colors alone, Donwood intended the commanding impression they both gave to be interchangeable, AND he paints with Liquitex paints. I thought Golden paints were the best, now I'm skeptical.











No comments:

Post a Comment